Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mary Chapin Carpenter

I don't remember how old I was. It could have been when I was under 5 and 1/2--cause I don't remember where my brother was--or I could have been about 8 or 9. Either way, I loved everything about the concert. My parents got three tickets to see Mary Chapin Carpenter live at some theatre in the East Bay and I knew every word to every one of her songs. My parents commented later on how amazing her back-up band was, how fantastic her performance of 'Shut Up and Kiss Me' worked the crowd.

I couldn't have cared less about the former, but I remember her descending the stage and strutting her way through the center aisle, finding an appropriate lap to sit on at the opportune chorus moment. I was mesmorized by her perfomance, and sang right along with her. It was less that I wanted to be down there with her, an aisle seat on the path she walked, but more that I wanted to be her. To have that guts--and the glory--that raw talent.

A child under ten sitting next to her parents, singing along to every song was probably a sight to be seen. I remembered the guy behind me making some remark part way through the show, he had noticed my talent for lyrics, if you want to call it that. Me, I couldn't have been happier. It remains one of my favorite concerts of all time.

No comments: